FairSquare Research produces rigorous research, policy and legal analysis for NGOs, the private sector and others. NGO clients include the Open Society Foundations, Amnesty International, Humanity United, and the Institute for Human Rights and Business. Examples of our work include:
- Carried out multi-country research, in partnership with MigrantRights.org, into the situation for Ethiopian domestic workers in the Gulf, to assess migrant workers’ access to support in the event of human rights abuses.
- Helped an NGO evaluate its options for developing its work in the Middle East and North Africa region, interviewing more than 70 activists, officials and experts.
- Advised the BBC on the application of international human rights standards in relation to a major investigation into how online platforms can facilitate slavery and human trafficking.
We also deliver research and advice for businesses that want to take meaningful steps to respect rights in their operations and through their supply chains. We provide detailed advice and practical recommendations so that they can adequately mitigate risks. We challenge businesses to take international standards seriously and embed human rights across their systems to prevent harm. Our findings and recommendations are grounded in in-depth consultations with people who may be affected by businesses’ operations. Examples of our work include:
- Assessed the principal human rights risks in the global supply chain of an international engineering and construction firm, providing recommendations to strengthen the business’s systems and tools to better assess the most salient risks.
- Working with Wallbrook, delivered human rights impact assessments of a multinational company’s operations in Colombia, Philippines and India, including evaluating labour practices, risks to communities, and concerns raised by the operations of business partners.
- Assessed the effectiveness of a construction company’s systems to protect migrant workers from the effects of heat in its Middle East operations.
- In partnership with Element AI, carried out a preliminary human rights impact assessment into the Sidewalk Labs proposals to redevelop the Quayside district of Toronto.
FairSquare Research Ltd is a limited company, registered in London. Company no: 11510590